In Memory of . . .

Home | St Jude Clinic Tour | Higgins | Donations | Suzanne . . .our namesake | Board Members | Cancer Colors | Memorial | Contact Us | Volunteer | IRS Information | Getting Involved | Journaling | Hospice & End of Life Information | Dealing with Cancer | Grief | Caregiver & Caregiving | Cancer Overview | Treatment | Awareness Month Calendar | Suzanne | Ways 2 Help


Suzanne Kostro Kovacs

Suzanne Kostro Kovacs, 56, died July 30, 2013. Suzanne was born in Raritan Township and formerly of Readington before moving to Neshanic Station in 1988. She was employed as a letter carrier at the Three Bridges Post Office for the past 26 years. In her spare time, Suzanne enjoyed gardening and was an avid NY Yankees Baseball fan. She was a devoted wife, mother, daughter, sister and grandmother who was especially fond of her grandchildren who were the joy of her life. She will be sadly missed by all.

Surviving are her loving husband of 37 years, Chuck, daughter Kellie Valko and her husband Joseph, son Robert and his wife Priscilla, her mother Dorothy Kostro, brothers Stephen and Nicholas Kostro and three grandchildren Joseph, Jonathan and Alannah.

Funeral services were provided by the Bruce C. VanArsdale Funeral Home, 111 N. Gaston Ave., Somerville. Interment will follow at St Bernard Cemetery in Bridgewater. 

Published in Courier News from July 31 to August 2, 2013
I had the pleasure and honor of meeting Chuck (husband) & Kellie (daughter) today to discuss a way to celebrate Suzanne's birthday which is on Sept 11.  Her family wants to do something special at Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center. 
Whenever I meet families who have been touched by this disease it reinforces my belief that our efforts are worthwhile.  It is not easy for me to explain but I know that helping patients and families touched by this disease keeps me humbled.
Chuck and Kellie both shared Suzanne's story with me from their own perspectives.  Their love for her, their devotion to each other and the empathy they have towards others who are travelling the same journey is amazing. 



Loretta Milligan
December 9, 1946 to July 23, 2006


In Memory of Loretta Milligan


When my friend, Barbara Perry asked if Friends of Suzanne would be willing to help her friend and son's future mother-in-law who had been diagnosed with cancer, my reply was "of course".  I said, "You will have to head up the team, but we will be more than happy to help you out in any way possible.?  "Great, what kind of programs do you have?" said Barbara.   


Barbara sat in my living room, going thru a briefcase full of literature I had received over the previous few months, to see what type of fund raiser might appeal to her.  She found the Flower Bulb packet and began reading it intently.  She called me into the room, and said, "I think I would like to do this one and I think Loretta would like it too".


Barbara was passionate about the program, was off and running in no time.   She wrote up a lovely note, attached it to copies of the order form and orders started rolling in.  She said in her note, Flowers are a sign of life, and life is a critical part of the cancer patients healing.


She sold over 324 packets of bulbs and raised over $ 1600 in just over 3 weeks.  Half of the money collected went directy to Loretta; in what became her first monthly check from the organization.


I ran into Colleen, Barbara's daughter at an event after the sale was done, and she told me how proud she was of her mother, for organizing the event; as well as the success that it was.


In March we held our Walking with Friends walk-a-thon at Spruce Run Recreation area.  What a thrill for all of us on the team, when we were told that Loretta was going to make an attempt to be there.


Susan, her eldest daughter told me just this weekend that the morning of the event, she woke her mom, got her ready and her mom was excited about being able to be a part of the day's event.  When I met Loretta that day, she said to me. "what a wonderful thing you are doing for Suzanne".  I tried to explain to her that it was named to honor Suzanne, but we were here to help anyone with cancer, that came to us. 


By the time she left that morning, I believe she realized for the first time, that SHE was part of the reason we were holding the walk, and that she was JUST as important.


As the months passed, Barbara Perry, Donna Korleski (board member) and I met at least once a month to take Sue for a "gals nite out".  We would have dinner, get updates on Loretta, and also provide Sue an avenue to vent; to get away; and most importantly to know that she had a support group, who really cared about what was going on in HER life, as well as her mom's.


When I saw Loretta at her daughter Debbie's bridal shower I cannot tell you how wonderful she looked.  She was glowing and excited about the days events.    Proud "Mother of the Bride"


In early July, around the 4th, I was advised by Barbara that Loretta was in the hospital for pain management.  I asked Barbara if I could tag along when she went to visit Loretta. 


Loretta was in excellent spirits.  She said that she was NOT leaving the hospital until the pain was under control.  In true form for Loretta, she was nurturing the other patients on the floor.  She was giving guidance to a new cancer patient sister when Barbara and I arrived.  


Loretta made friends with both her room mate and her room mates daughter.  I understand that they even exchanged phone numbers, when they were leaving the hospital.


Barbara brought Loretta a beautiful bouquet of flowers all from the "bulb" sale and I brought one of our Noah's Ark Stuff-n-Fluff bears. 


Two days later, I went to visit Loretta again since I was getting ready to travel for two weeks and knew I would not be around.  When I walked in the room, there was Loretta in the bed, with her bear.  She told me that the bear came in handy.  When she pressed the buzzer for the nurse, they would come in, see what she wanted and then have to go get it ... Hope (as she later told me she named the bear) would then be pulled, twisted, and screamed into, until they could administer the pain meds.


I received a call from Susan that Loretta had been readmitted to the hospital.  I was not able to visit her because of travel, and then vacation.  By the time I was back home, I learned that Loretta was released; she would be going to Susan's home in White House and would be under the supervision of Hospice.


Sadly, this would begin the final leg of Loretta's journey. 


I was unable to visit Loretta the first day she was home, but did go over on Friday.  I returned to visit again on Sunday and I am so appreciative to the family, for allowing me to be there.


Loretta has touched my heart in a way that I never imagined when I founded Friends of Suzanne.  Her passion for life, her uncanny sense of humor, her love all of those she knew  . . . Loretta is one of the most special people I have ever met.


When I visited her in the hospital, as I was ready to leave she said, "I love you".  We had only met in person for the fourth time that day.  We had communicated thru her daughter, and if I have one regret, it would be that I was not able to spend more time with her, one-on-one.


Loretta left me a voice mail to tell me that she had named her bear Hope and added "You will never know how much what you are doing with Friends of Suzanne means to me", "Keep it going, I love you".


The genuine selflessness with which she lived her life will always be with me.  She has made me a better person, a stronger person.  She will forever be in my heart, and I will always remember her for being so supportive and loving to me.


Kathy Koltowski

Founder - Friends of Suzanne




It is with deepest sympathy and sadness that we say farewell to Loretta.  Her brave battle ended at 11:20 PM, Sunday, July 23, 2006.


Loretta was at home; surrounded by family and friends.  Since her arrival home Wednesday, the house was open to family,  and friends, who wanted to visit and express their love.  


Loretta will be remembered as one whose love, generosity, kindness and zest for life touched everyone she met.  Her life was lived to the fullest.  Her compassion and concern for all those who she met was genuine. 


She will be missed dearly by all who had the pleasure and honor to know her. 





Update:     July 21, 2006

I was able to visit Loretta today.  All of her children were at the house.  I sat with Loretta while the children met with the Hospice Social Worker.  Sadly, Loretta is not coherent, and while I was able to chat to her, she could not respond with that wit and great humor of hers.  Several of Loretta's friends came to visit while I was there; and the outpouring of support, and kindness from all of those who know the family is overwhelming.

Please continue to keep the family in your prayers, during this final end of Loretta's Journey.




Update:    July 20, 2006

Loretta was released from the hospital July 19 and is home with her daughter Susan in White House.  Hospice was brought in and the family is all at her side.  This rapid turn of events caught everyone by surprise.  Please keep Loretta, Susan, Brian, David and Debra in your prayers.  



Update:   July 16, 2006

Loretta has had yet another setback.  She has been hospitalized again.  I hope to be able to visit over the next day or so, but am waiting for family to advise on her status.  Keep posted for updates.



July 4, 2006

Loretta is doing fairly well with her disease. Unfortunately she has had a minor setback and has been hospitalized for pain management.  I had an opportunity to visit her over the weekend.  She is in excellent spirits and appears to be dealing with this latest disappointment quite well.


Loretta's youngest daughter will be getting married in September.  She is focused on that happy day, and looking forward to it.




Loretta was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung & Bone cancer on September 11, 2005.  She has been undergoing treatment at HRCC in Flemington, NJ.  Loretta is 56 and the mother of four; Sue, Brian, Debbie and David.  Prior to be being diagnosed, Loretta worked at Macy’s in Bridgewater in the Ladies Shoe Department as the top sales person year-over-year.


We learned about Loretta because her daughter Debbie is marrying my neighbor’s son; Brian.  They announced their engagement in February and will be married in September.  To make the event even more special, Debbie has asked her mom and sister to stand by her side on her wedding day.  It’s sure to be memorable for all.


Loretta’s oldest daughter’ Sue moved back from Florida with the news of her mother’s diagnosis and now resides in Whitehouse Station being the caregiver for her mother.  Thankfully Loretta has all four children close in proximity and treasures the visits when her children come by her daughter Sue’s home where she has been living for a few months now as the six months of chemotherapy have been daunting for Loretta.


In February we held a fund raiser for Loretta.  Our committee chairperson for Loretta’s arm of the organization did an excellent job of selling “Spring Planting Flower Bulbs” from Dutch Mills Bulbs.  A total of 324 packets were sold and this event raised over $800 for Loretta. 


Orders are still coming in so we will extend the program to accommodate these additional orders.


On March 25, Loretta and her family all hope to attend the Walking with Friends event.  You can learn more about his event by going to the Walking with Friends link.


Thank you to everyone who has helped us support Loretta and a special thank you to Barbara Perry, who chaired this event.


God Bless you all,




It is with great sadness and sorrow that we post the following.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the Schiable family during this time. 

Jason P. Schaible, North Hunterdon H.S. graduate

BETHLEHEM TOWNSHIP -- Jason P. Schaible, 21, of Bethlehem Township died Saturday (Aug. 11, 2007) at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick after a long illness. He was born Feb. 23, 1986 in Somerville and was a lifelong resident of the area.

Jason is the son of Vincent J. and Karen Sawicki Schaible of Bethlehem Township. He was a 2004 graduate of North Hunterdon High School and was a senior at Loyola College in Baltimore, Md.

He was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Hampton and an avid golf, soccer and lacrosse player.

Survivors in addition to his parents include a sister, Katherine E. Schaible at home; a paternal grandfather, John P. Schaible of Ocean Beach; a maternal grandmother, Mrs. Barbara J. Wilson of Sarasota, Fla.; and many aunts, uncles and cousins.

A funeral Mass will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at the Immaculate Conception Church, 316 Old Allerton Road, Annandale.

Burial at St. Ann's Cemetery in Hampton.

Calling hours are 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday at the Scarponi-Bright Funeral Home, 26 Main St., Lebanon.

Memorials can be made to the Jason P. Schaible Memorial Fund, 54 Norma Road, Hampton, NJ 08827.

the above is as written in the Courier News Online


Jason P. Schiable


Played soccer, golf and lacrosse

Jason P. Schiable, 21, of Bethlehem Twp. died Saturday, Aug. 11, 2007, at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, after a long illness.

Calling hours will be Tuesday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. and Wednesday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at the Scarponi-Bright Funeral Home, 26 Main St., Lebanon.

The Funeral Mass will be Thursday at 11 a.m. at Immaculate Conception Church, 316 Allerton Road, Annandale. Burial will be in St. Anns Cemetery in Hampton.

Jason was born February 23, 1986, in Somerville and was a lifelong resident of the area. He was the son of Vincent J. and Karen Sawicki Schiable of Bethlehem Twp. He was a 2004 graduate of North Hunterdon High School and was a senior at Loyola College in Baltimore, Md. He was a member of St. Anns Catholic Church in Hampton and an avid golfer and soccer and lacrosse player.

Survivors, in addition to his parents, include a sister, Katherine E. Schiable, at home; paternal grandfather, John P. Schiable of Ocean Beach; maternal grandmother, Mrs. Barbara J. Wilson of Sarasota, Fla.; many aunts, uncles and cousins. Memorial donations can be made to the Jason P. Schiable Memorial Fund, 54 Norma Road, Hampton, N.J. 08827.

Published in the Star-Ledger on 8/13/2007.



As published in the Holy Spirit Parish Bulletin

Aug 5th, 22007


Pray for the Sick


                          Jason Schaible


Holy Spirit Parish - 971 Suburban Road - Union, NJ 07083



An article written by Jason and published in The Greyhound - The student newspaper of Loyola College

Relay offers hope, empowerment

Issue date: 4/3/07 -  Page 1 of 1

On March 31, 2007 I found a reason to hope. And I was not the only one. Personally, I already had plenty of good reasons to be filled with such an empowering emotion.

I already knew that it was out there, and that living with hope makes life that much enjoyable. However, now I know I'm not alone.

There are truly no words that can describe the efforts of the Relay for Life Committee, the numerous team captains, the countless number of student participants, and all those whom I've neglected to mention involved in the event.

First and foremost, their accomplishments should be congratulated and celebrated. Their remarkable dedication to a cause that is so dear to so many, as well as at the forefront of such incredible worldwide concern, is not only admirable, but also enviable.

As an onlooker, I've witnessed the planning over the past several months of what I have to come to realize was an enormously valiant undertaking.

I do not know what, exactly, it took to pull off such a celebration, but all of those involved did so -- and made it look easy.

Congratulations on successfully organizing one of the most anticipated, elegant, charitable celebrations of the year. Any respect and gratitude you gain from such a brilliant success is insufficient -- you deserve much more. Congratulations!

I speak from the bottom of my heart and depths of my soul when I say thank you.

Thank you for all your hours of planning, devotion, and undying spirit.

Thank you for dedicating your whole selves to such a noble cause. Thank you from me.

Thank you from all those surviving and fighting cancer as we speak.

Thank you from all of those who have been affected by this disease. Thank you from all of those who will be affected by this disease.

And, now that we're even closer to finding the cure, thank you from all of those who will be blessed enough to never even have to worry about it.
And this article as written by Uncle Tom, clearly describes Jason's character . . . .
"Putting it in perspective"
I found this letter posted on a high school football forum. The letter was written by Jason's uncle. Read on.

Dear Board Members,

I don’t know how many of you are Rutgers Football fans or whether any of you found interest in the game last Thursday night, but I wanted to share with all of you a human interest story which has touched us beyond words.

As many of you are aware, my nephew Jason Schaible , who is 20, has been battling Hodgkin’s lymphoma for the past year requiring frequent visits and stays at Robert Wood Johnson hospital and at the New Jersey Cancer Institute in New Brunswick. During one of his chemo treatments back in September one of Jason’s oncology nurses, Karen, mentioned that she would get him tickets to any Rutgers football game he wanted to attend. He chose the Louisville game. Of course at that time neither team was ranked and there was not nearly the level of interest. Jason entered the hospital to undergo a stem cell transplant on November 1st and, because of the prolonged treatment, realized he would not be able to use the tickets to the biggest football game in State history. Jason returned the tickets to Karen, his nurse, who then posted a notice on the Rutgers Alumni web-site telling everyone Jason’s story. The story was brought to the attention of Mr. Mulcahy, the Rutgers Athletic Director, who then called coach Schiano to see if they could get a jersey for Jason. After learning that Jason had returned the tickets and was hospitalized with cancer, coach Schiano, on Thursday…the busiest day in the history of the football program and when everyone wants a piece of the coach, personally went to visit Jason in the hospital. He brought a football signed by all the Rutgers players, a jersey and a hat to give to Jason. More importantly he told Jason that he was more concerned about his health than some football game. They spoke for a half hour about life, its ups and downs, and how fighting for something was just as important as winning. He left Jason with his personal phone number and told him to call him when he was out of the hospital and feeling better. He said he wanted to see Jason when he was healthy so that he could give him a new set of tickets.

The impact that this simple gesture of compassion has had on Jason has been astounding. Coach Schiano will forever have a whole new set of fans – The Schaibles

Thanks for listening….

Blood & Platelet Drive -
December 4, 2006 -
North Hunterdon High School
Over 250 participants
Thank you
Jason Schaible, a 2004 NHHS Graduate has been fighting Hodgkin's Lymphoma cancer for almost one year.  The time has come for his fight to become more intense and prolonged, and at the end of an entire month of extensive chemo sessions, he will need a stem cell transplant, requiring numerous blood transfusions.
Jason has given so much of himself to the community - between high school athletics, school organizations and musicals, he was always busy making our school and neighborhoods a better place.
From Vince & Karen Schaible
So many of you have asked us if there is anyting you can do to help during this most difficult time, while Jason battles his Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Jason is currently undergoing a month-long treatment, with extensive chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant.  During this time, Jason will most likely need several blood transfusions, due to the chemo and its affect on his immune system.
We have teamed up with the New Brunswick Affiliated Hospitals Blood Center to host a blood and platelet drive in Jason's honor.  Some of the much needed blood products which are collected on Jason's behalf, will be used by hm, while some will be made available for other cancer patients having treatement in New Brunswick hospitals, by replenishing the center's supply. 
Please consider helping us out.  This is one of the most important ways you can help.
Lillian Gatti, of NBAH Blood Center, and our friend Andrea Marsh, will be making all of the necessary arrangements and are available ifyou have any questions.  The details and specifics are listed below.
If you are unable to donate blood or platelets, perhaps you know a neighbor, co-worker, family member or a friend who would like to donate.  Please feel free to share this information with others you think would like to donate - take it to work, to Thanksgiving dinner, talk to your neighbors!
There is also a need for volunteers the day of the drive - to help register people, and contributions are needed of baked goods and juice for those donating.
This is the way you can help.
As always, Jason, Karen, Katherine and I are grateful for your good wishes and thank all of our friends for their support and prayers.
Vince and Karen Schaible.
As the 2006 Holiday Season approaches, plan on giving a Gift from the Heart.
It is with great sadness and sorrow that we advise you that Brian S Jones, Sr.  husband of Valerie Jones and father to Brian Jr, and Tabitha passed away on Friday, Sept 7th, 2007.
The arrangements are as follows:

Tuesday, 9/11/07 - Call from 7:00PM to 8:30PM

Wednesday, 9/12/07 - Funeral service at 10:30AM at the funeral home.

Ashton Funeral Home

14th & Northampton Streets

Easton, PA 18042

Condolences may be sent to Valerie and her family at:

17 Babbling Brook Road

Easton, PA 18045


Contributions to the

Jones Children Education Fund are being accepted

at the families residence.


 Mailing Address:
PO Box 2479
Church Hill TN 37642